View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  
SoberLeigh

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Thank you Leigh!

Just got back from a fancy French restaurant for my sister in law's birthday. Ate my weight in butter. It was fantastic. So grateful that I was able to do that and enjoy it.

It felt eerie to be downtown on a Saturday night sober. I told my husband what a vastly different experience it is for me to be there sober. He didn't understand, so I explained how alcohol changed everything about my perception. It made things look, feel, sound, taste, everything different. It intensified everything, including my own thoughts. So now, even when I'm in a place where I've been a thousand times before, being there sober makes it seem unfamiliar. He said it doesn't affect him like that. It was interesting for both of us to get a little more insight into each other.

It was such a nice dinner, and for a while I actually felt the way I always hoped alcohol would make me feel. At ease. Content. Happy.

Also, tonight I realized that it was no big deal for me to stay sober in a place where wine is a huge deal. I told the waiter no thanks and asked him to take my glass (I don't know if it's like this everywhere, but here restaurants set tables with a water glass and a wine glass). I didn't give a thought to what anyone would think. It was really nice.

V - I think things happen for us when it's time. This isn't a race, and how fast you go doesn't matter, as long as you're moving in the right direction. I think what you're doing is incredible.

Such a nice post, Briar. Makes me so happy for you.