Old 02-25-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
PaulDaveSmithJo

Layali,

I’ve been in similar situations myself. I’ve found it best to consider my desires and my intentions.

With respect to desire, philosophers seem to agree that the fundamental human desire is this: the experience of happiness, or joy, or contentment - or something along similar lines - and the maximization of such, i.e., we desire to experience such things as often as we can.

Because I found this notion highly agreeable - even indisputable - whenever I found myself plagued with temptations (or the AV), I simply ask myself:

“Would craving in to this temptation serve my fundamental human desire for joy? Would it serve to maximize my experience of happiness?”

I also ask:

“Would craving in to this temptation serve to deny me my fundamental desire for the experience of joy? Would it threaten the maximization of my experience of happiness? "

And also:

“Would submitting to this temptation provide an authentic happiness? If I were intoxicated, could I be fully present in this happiness? Wouldn’t the sorrow that always follows my giving in to this temptation undermine the maximization of my happiness - i.e., wouldn’t it inevitably involve the loss of some period of happiness and replace this with sorrow and regret instead, in the days, weeks, months, or years ahead?”

The next step is simply to state my intention.