View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  
amp123

Hey guys! I just passed 10 months on Saturday. The first milestone I didn't notice till a couple of days after it had passed. I think that's a good sign!

Interesting posts here. I seriously wondered where the fun and joy in life was going to come from when I stopped last year. I was stopping because my drinking had got out of hand. For me at that point, the decision was either to live a joyless grey life or destroy myself and those around me. Joyless and grey won, but that didn't last too long. Things started to feel better after 3 months and after 6 I began to feel almost comfortable with the new me. Right now I'd say I'm probably happier than I've been any time in my life since I was a kid. I'm 45 now and have been caught in a closed circuit of depression - drink (fun)- hangover - self loathing - depression - drink - etc since I was in my teens. The last 10 months have seen me abandon things I thought I loved but were actually toxic for me, and embrace others I had neglected. There were emotional times, especially around 3 months. I remember having to pull over on a motorway listening to a Jay Hawks album because I was crying and couldn't drive. All that emotion that we used to offset with drink started coming out. It was scary and a little lonely for myself and those around me. I'd recommend reaching out. SR, AA, a mentor, sponsor or sober friend. Whatever it takes. I owe it all to this website, so thank you one and all!

Have a great week!