Old 02-21-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FormerWineGirl

I also have the fleeting thought occasionally, maybe holding a glance at a glass of wine in a restaurant for a second or two, or thinking briefly for a second, "Oh that would be nice" but reality kicks in very quickly knowing it wouldn't be nice at all for me.

There was an exception a little over a week ago that caught me off guard, however. We were in Puerto Rico visiting friends. I was sick with a cold and didn't go out for dinner one night. The electricity went out, and I was alone. I started to have a bit of anxiety, and there was a bottle of vodka on the counter. Bear in mind, I will be 18 months sober tomorrow, and since my husband still drinks, there is a fully stocked bar in my home 24/7 which doesn't bother me. But it was different this time. I almost drank. It was totally unexpected, and strong. I got through it, and have told my husband numerous times how glad I was that I didn't drink.

I hope I never have a craving that strong again. But if I do, I will remember how happy and relieved I was that I didn't cave in.