Old 02-19-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Paix Amour

Hey bluedog - If that AA meeting cant make all sorts of people (including you) feel welcome then that says something about THEM! I would speak to the organiser about my thoughts, and if that didn't change anything, then I would go to another AA meeting. Is it going to be 1 week for you tomorrow?

Hey kittycat - Its hard to let go of old habits and beliefs. I am new to this forum but I have tried to quit drinking for many many years. Im not a newbie at it. Im pretty old in the tooth and know giving things up can be difficult especially if we are emotionally attached to it. Have you tried seeing a therapist to change your mindset that you don't need alcohol to have fun and be happy. I gave up a serious long term cigarette smoking habit over 2 years ago. I honestly didn't know what to do with myself. Stuck at home by myself once my son was dropped off at school, I would smoke the day away (and then drink the night away !!!). I really struggled with replacing the smoking with something else. So, when I would normally smoke, or when I felt like a smoke, I cleaned something in the house. It worked for me. I wouldn't even consider going out and smoking now, even if Im surrounded by smokers.

Now, Ive got to do the same with the alcohol. If I can stop a moderate long term smoking habit then I can stop drinking.