View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by Linzey0706 View Post
It's commonly known that addicts shouldn't date others in early recovery because they need to work on themselves forthmost..

With this being said and supported in many different places, why do I see my ex addict and his new friends from rehab all with new girlfriends from their rehab center or recovery programs? Mainly, why would someone break up with their long term relationship to "focus on themself" but then turn around and date someone new they met in rehab?

Doesn't make very much sense to me
It doesn't make sense because you're not looking at it from the addict's perspective.

Those in the Fellowship form very intense bonds over shared experiences rather quickly. They can relate to and with each other really well. But it's also true that the boundaries of an addict suck, so as intense as those bonds are, they really aren't at all appropriate. As much as we'd like to think otherwise, meetings can often be insalubrious.

It's a lot of work monitoring yourself and making good decisions, even for non-addicts. For addicts new to recovery, it's especially difficult. But then again, what he does really isn't really your concern. Your gig is to watch yourself.