View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
DesertDawg

My first trip on the Weekender bus

I have a 4-day weekend starting tomorrow, so I'm making the 90-minute drive down to Tucson for the weekend to see, among other things, the Pima Air & Space Museum and adjacent US Air Force "boneyard" at Davis-Monthan AFB. Acres upon acres of decommissioned aircraft preserved in the dry desert air for spare parts. Alas, I am not in the USAF, so I'll have to see them from an air-conditioned bus. Also on the itinerary is the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, an indoor-outdoor museum/zoo dedicated to the flora and fauna of the Sonoran Desert region.

It's an easy trip from my home, and not very exciting by most people's standards, but here is where some of you may be able to relate: It is a perfect example of a simple little weekend trip that I had wanted to take since I first moved to Phoenix, that requires little real effort or expense, but that I nonetheless could never manage during my drinking days, for the usual myriad of reasons that most of us know all too well (too drunk, too hungover, too tired, passed out, the list goes on...) I view it as another small step in the process of taking back my life from alcohol.