View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thomas45

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
Thomas, I respectfully disagree with what you said. Alcohol does not turn someone into the abusive person that we are speaking about here.

At first my ex needed to have alcohol to hit all on the list, and then surpass it. I was around for 26 years. He no longer needed the alcohol to be who he was.
I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

What are the Differences between Narcissism and Alcoholic Selfishness? - The Narcissistic Life
Narcissism In A Bottle: The Self-Centeredness Of Addiction
http://alcoholrehab.com/alcohol-reha...toms-behavior/

Living with an alcoholic is highly similar to this. The alcoholic or addict is continuously seeking his next “fix”- the fix is how they maintain their equilibrium. Obtaining his next fix is a priority and this need of his comes before anybody else’s needs. Just like the narcissist who lives for his next fix. They are both self-absorbed and both only concerned with their own priorities. The selfishness of the alcoholic and the narcissist are observed in their lack of awareness, or even lack of caring, about the needs of those around them. They come first; everyone else’s needs come second or not at all. They both have overwhelming, overpowering needs-whether it is for their next drink or for their next drug, food or sexual encounter.

A person with alcoholic selfishness is very much like a narcissist. Addiction produces a kind of narcissism. The addiction is preoccupying and it takes over the person’s body, mind and soul. It is all-consuming. Living with alcoholic selfishness is a lot like living with narcissism because no matter what you do or how hard you try, you will always come second.
If alcohol abuse didn't bring out narcissistic traits, nobody would ever get DUI's. Not all individuals who get DUI's classify as NPD while sober, and yet driving while drunk is a highly narcissistic thing to do.