Thread: 02/08/16
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

It's regrettable that you're interpreting some of the responses here as being unsupportive or unhelpful. Just remember that your current line of reasoning is so so common, and pretty much everyone here has either experienced it or seen it before time and time again in other people. The reality is the odds of an alcoholic switching to moderation successfully are really long hence th skepticism and the 'reality shot' in the advice you're getting. But someone has to win the lottery, so if you do this and prove everyone wrong then more power to you!

People are just trying to make you aware of what you stand to lose if this fails for you. I started moderating, it went well for... a couple of weeks... But before I knew it I was back drinking, and even harder than before I started moderating. But the worst part is it was a full two years before I even attempted to quit again. Two whole years lost.

Anyway, do what you have to do and stick with SR through it because it will help. But I would encourage you to think about your feelings about the idea of never being able to drink again and this desire/need to be able to drink socially. Everyone in recovery faces it and no one likes it. I thought I needed to be able to drink socially. Tonight I went out for a curry with a bunch of mates, they were all knocking back the beer whilst I had sparkling water. I had a great night, drove home with a clear conscience and going to wake up tomorrow feeling fresh. All in, I had a better night not drinking than had I been drinking... Something I never ever saw coming.