View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Venecia

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Welp, I'm feeling mighty fine about my Decision-making after reading this Story. There's a Cheesehead joke in there somewhere.

'Whoops, I'm stupid!' ~ Steve Martin

- Drunk Couple Has 9 Year-Old Drive Until Arrested -
Oh, my. I saw that on the Wash Post website but didn't click on it. Too depressing.

From the It's a Small World (Especially in Wisconsin) Department:

The county in which that travesty unfolded is two counties north of the one where I grew up. On the paternal side, most of the fam is in that neck of the woods, including a cousin* who owns a bar in that county, along with her husband.

The hubby led an effort to secure special state funds for a "drunk limo" to take people home from the bars. How did those fund become available? Because that county has one of the most dreadful track records for drunken driving.** I'm not sure if the program still exists. State funding for many good things -- education, state parks, etc. -- has been slashed dramatically back in my beloved home state. (If we could talk politics on SR, I'd have plenty more to say about that. It's probably a good thing that our wise admins have a policy against that. )

* Sibling to my cousin who died over the weekend, following decades of alcohol and painkiller addiction.

** A few years back, it also had a whopper of a meth problem. Whether that has given way to a prescription painkiller-followed-by-heroin problem I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.