Old 02-08-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Tooshabby

Hi guys - I've been on an island with no internet. Just caught up. I hope it (sobriety) does require more than just willpower because otherwise I'm in deep trouble.

Cow, it's so hard to say because obviously it's a huge decision and your call. All I can say is that I'm much happier when I have some structure and am interacting with people, and it does seem (although this may just be a coincidence) that since you've had work on you seem noticeably more buoyant. That could just be the change in attitudes though - don't know. But it is an observation. I don't think that the demands of work will necessarily put more of a strain on your sobriety - being inactive and isolated comes with its own set of stressors.

The other thing is that it's pretty clear that it would be a smart move in terms of your career and financial situation, but then that has to be weighed up against quality of life in the short term....although 2 years isn't all that short. Sounds like the actual job itself is unappealing and you're not fond of early starts.

So, really tough one. I would lean towards take the job, but in no way is that meant to be advice. I think someone said trust your gut....(Courage?) It doesn't always speak loudly to us though, unfortunately, although it might be in your case...?