Old 02-08-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  
walkbeformakrun
Omnivore

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Actually, most plans rely on accepting external help and relying on others or methods/procedures rather than willpower. I think it's pretty commonly agreed within most recovery programs that you cannot get sober on your own willpower alone.
Turtle here told me that 60% of people that get sober do just that. They get sober with willpower. I know I can't do that. No yet anyway.

Certainly willpower is important in life and it plays a part in taking the initiative to get sober and keep working at the plan ( whatever it may be ), but when it comes down to the actual "how do i deal with a craving" or "how do I deal with this stressful/difficult situation", there are clearly defined steps on how to make a healthy decision rather than drinking.
How to do this without the pill, that would be the plan? Its easy with the pill. I think that if I just take the pill long enough, I will amass enough experience dealing with stress and boredom (my worst triggers) that I will have those skills down. I already feel experainced enough with respect to stress and boredom. I experience those feelings now and have no thoughts of drinking. However, taking the pill does not help me with developing impulse control.

For example, in AA there are meetings. And there are phone numbers to call and sponsors. All of these are external tools one can rely on in times of trouble. Feel like drining? Call your sponsor or someone else. They can help you make it through the craving...because cravings are simply feelings, and they always pass.
You have to have willpower to call your sponsor when you want a drink.

For people who use SR or other online communities, they log on and start a virtual conversation before they drink. For those that use methods like AVRT, there are specific ways to deal with the "beast" that don't involve willpower at all.
For AVRT, the idea that one will, "never drink again and will never change your mind" that is all will power. I admire it. I aspire to it. I'm not there yet.

The good news is that once you have a plan established, the cravings really do become much less intense and farther between. At some point sobriety becomes "the norm" and thoughts of drinking are rare.
I have almost no cravings. They are weak when they do come. Being sober is my norm and has been for a while now. Just a couple days ago I was sitting on the porch, sipping carbonated water, watching the birds and deer. Something I used to only do with a beer. For a long time I stopped enjoying it bc I felt more pain from missing beer than joy at the activity. Now I feel relieved that I'm not letting watching the birds cause me to become drunk. I'm just enjoying the scene and will be sober when I decide to go back into the house.