Old 02-07-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
zerothehero
waking down

It seems to me, and maybe this is in part about getting older or just maturing, but sobriety cultivates a kind of middle way. Instead of searching for extremes of ecstasy that inevitably rebound into extremes of pain (or drama), I tend to be content with a steady mind. No desire to get blasted. No attraction to drama. Just be and observe. This is another way I think Buddhism or mindfulness intersects with recovery. We learn to be okay with the mundane. Boredom is not a kind of suffering anymore, but a welcomed state of calm and peace. I still go to concerts and festivals and get out and explore, but that's more about appreciating art and beauty rather than seeking a peak experience. This can rub off in relationships. In early sobriety things were pretty rocky with my wife. After a couple of years of sobriety we've settled into a comfortable synergy. Is it perfect? No. But meditation has helped me cultivate acceptance - for myself, our relationship, and our situation, in general. Sometimes we strive so hard for a better life, and crave more and more of whatever - stuff, experiences... - but when I sit and open my heart I am reminded that I have all I need, right here, right now.