Thread: Detox help
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2muchpain

Originally Posted by Sandy41 View Post
Hello I have started a home detox programme with my case worker, each day I reduce my units, with my final one being 14th February , but I'm finding it so hard, I'm just so scared to think that I can not have a drink again. I know from previous experiences that I cannot be a social drinker. Any help or advice please . X
I try to not think too much about the future. All it does is increasing my anxiety over things that I have little control over anyhow, and just gives me reasons to drink today which really makes no sense when you think about it. I do my best to just think about today. I just don't wake up and say I won't drink today. For me, that will only work for so long. I make a plan on how I won't drink today. Some call it a to do list. Part of that plan my involve staying hydrated, eating well, but maybe indulging in something sweet. Even with this, the thought of drinking will eventually come up anyhow. So, I'll add on something to that plan for the next day. Before you know it, you'll have a pretty solid daily plan. That's a whole lot easier than trying to make a plan for life today, like saying you will not drink forever. Some people manage to do that, but for me, that wouldn't work. I can develop a structure for a day or week. But to develop a structure for the rest of my life and stick with it forever!! Good luck. John