Old 02-06-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Yoga

I would tend to go with the second because as time goes on the thoughts will come less frequently. It is important to work through the emotions and move on.

Originally Posted by Gemlitigate View Post
Since I haven't been sleeping much I have immersed myself in self help breakup books and articles on acceptance and letting go. I know most are written for the masses but there is such contradictory information. For example:
1. One recommended book says that once you've accepted the breakup and killed all hope of getting back together, use the Stop Thought Technique. Whenever you get a happy or sentimental thought of the two of you holding hands or getting married on a beach or whatever, yell STOP either out loud or in your head and then imagine a stop sign. This will train your brain to stop sending you these thoughts eventually.
2. The second book says the above will only make the thoughts return with a vengeance and instead you need to let them come and sit with them until they go away on their own. But who wants to continuously remember all these happy memories all the time when you are trying to stay strong in your resolve?

Has anyone used either method and what have you found as the most successful way of acceptance?