View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Zeroine

Powerful - concepts?

Just to clarify - I respect anyone following twelve steps and I'm not bashing that or inviting a discussion about AA. That isn't the topic.

I just don't happen to subscribe to the "powerless" approach myself, and in fact I think my salvation/sobriety lies in connecting to my own power as well as collective support and other things.

So, looking at one aspect of that - connecting to my own power - I'm wondering what other people think or experience.

In my case, I've discovered my own power in the face of various life challenges. When it comes specifically to alcohol - I'm right at the beginning. The most basic question I have to ask myself is why my own power is so hard to even see.

I love irresponsibility. Not because I was spoilt as a child, more the opposite. I was massively controlled. Now that I can make my own choices my instant response to many situations is still a childish, and almost knee-jerk, rebellion. Even if the rebellion is against my own well-being.

And yet, I love the power I feel over other areas of my life. I want to feel powerful over alcohol too.

While I try to join the dots for myself here, does anyone have any thoughts or would like to share about what powerfulness means to their sobriety? Would love to hear anything anyone has to say.