View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sobersolstice

I don't think the core ME really changes when I'm not drinking. I believe my brain chemistry changes toward the positive, and with a positive outlook, I'm more productive, healthier and generally happier.

I grew up in a bad place (L.A.), and violence was everywhere. The bullying I endured would have criminal repercussions if I were a kid where I live now and today's age. I think those solemn and dark feelings were initially drowned by the booze, then became a way to be back in the darkness that I had grown up in as a child. It was almost like it was my only association with anything. Almost as if I subconsciously found the darkness to be my comfort zone the way a dog is trained to sleep in a cage in the basement.

Interestingly, I am very introspective and thoughtful my first day after stopping, then I have difficulties with cravings for a while before I settle into a sober life where I simply stop thinking about drinking. I think I'm a natural introvert, but I definitely go out more and talk more when I'm sober. Everything is brighter and generally more positive feeling when I'm sober, so I guess that's a better way to be. May as well.