View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nevets

You are where I was about 40 days ago. Something that helps me when I am feeling down or have anxiety or a craving is to pause and reflect on how I feel at that moment compared to how I used to feel almost every morning after the usual big night. In my case absolutely nothing I feel now in terms of a low or downer beats the worst hangover lows I had when drinking. It instantly gives me frame of reference or benchmark with which to compare with. I think it is important not to forget how bad it was when I drank.

I agree with FreeOwl, that if you can get to a mind set where you choose not to drink because you don't actually want to, it helps enormously. What I have done to achieve this is to do enjoyable things I never did in the past because hangovers were so severe. For example getting up and going for a nice walk in the early morning at sunrise is a simple example. But while I am walking, I make sure I think and reflect on the fact that I was only able to do this because I didn't drink the night before. Doing small things like this every day and making the connection that I am only doing an enjoyable activity because I chose not to drink made it easier for me to turn my mindset around. When any craving triggers come now, it is easier to swat them away because I say I choose to be sober and fresh for my activity tomorrow or whatever it may be.

For me it wasn't easy, particularly at the start, but it wasn't as difficult as I imagined. I am a little amazed actually at how I am going with choosing not to drink. But to be honest, I am still in the early days and still have a way to go but I am optimistic.

I hope I have been able to help you with just those little tips that seem to be working for me at the moment.