View Single Post
Old 02-03-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

6 weeks is a long time for an alcoholic not to drink - well done!

I found relying on external things to make me "happy" was a big part of my issues to begin with. I have learned that sobriety is an inside job - I had to change my perceptions and how I engage with the world around me.

As I gained a little time and worked with others in a program - concepts like honesty, love, tolerance, compassion and empathy replaced feelings of fear, anxiety, mistrust and isolation.

Over time I find the peaks and valleys start to even out more. At 20 months of sobriety I am not saying that I do back flips everyday. That simply is not true. But, I engage the world and look it directly in the eyes today. I don't manipulate people or self rationalize poor behavior. When I am wrong, I apologize - promptly. I do volunteer work - helping others is a great way to get out of our narcissistic selfish ways that typically encapsulate alcoholics. I am more comfortable in my own skin and can go anywhere at anytime.

Freedom to be or not to be - "I'm the architect of my own success or happiness. The quality of my sobriety is up to me - it will be what I want it to be".

Keep staying sober and you'll have an opportunity to change from the inside out.