View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

he is withholding...

...and always will until he no longer gets second chances. On behalf of your kids, stop giving them. You can't give an alcoholic a door in-- they will ALWAYS open it.

C-

Originally Posted by slowlyevolving View Post
I am in the process of divorcing/coparenting with an active alcoholic. Long, long story short - our temporary custody agreement is that he agrees to monitored sobriety and loses parenting rights if he fails. Looks like he is withholding (because he is excellent at finding the loophole) some test results. He had missed a breathalyzer, swore he wasn't drinking, so I gave him the chance to show me in an ETG test. That was two weeks ago. I have now given him until end of day today to produce those results or he is noncompliant.

My kids (ages 7 and 11) have not been told about his addiction and that conversation is quickly approaching. My son (11yo) is very anxious and I want to present this in a way that empowers him and doesn't overly scare him. Suggestions? Books or articles you found helpful?

Part of me is so overly ready for this conversation and another part wants nothing to do with it. Thanks for any advice on what to say or what not to say.