View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dropsie

Great post.

I have been thinking lately about the mental shift from being a "Sober/abstinent drinker" to truly being a "teetotaller/Nondrinker."

I used to smoke and I recall that for many years I was a smoker who didn't smoke and then at some point without realising it I became a real non-smoker. The way I looked at it was, if my boyfriend loved a gal who smoked and it was not bad for you -- would you smoke?? The moment I could truly answer that no, not really, I was free and knew that I would never smoke again.

I see many on here who have reached that point with alcohol, so I know its possible.

Like you, I also have a relatively easy time stopping, but sadly I have also allowed myself to start again before I really became a true in my soul non-drinker. This time I really really know I am finished, which is the reason for my question.

I am sure you don't have to be a true nondrinker to stop for the rest of your life, but I can say from my smoking experience it makes it easier, because you have 100 % confidence that no matter what change in circumstances, even if you found out you were dying, or a closed loved one was, or it was discovered to be good for a disease you had, whatever, you would not drink.

I am NOT talking about cravings or wanting to drink, or giving yourself an excuse to relapse, I am taking about the complete and total certainty that you will never drink again under any and all circumstances.

For those that are there, any pointers??