View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lynnmarie123

Explosive Temper

Hi all! I've been poking around this website for a couple weeks before finally joining today. I've been dry since 11/4/15 and until now, hadn't thought I needed support.
I have been an alcoholic for 25 years, perhaps more. (Wow, that's a crazy feeling admitting that!) Like most, it started off slowly. Once in a while grew to 2 bottles of wine (+) every single night.
I was introduced to booze at the tender age of 14 by my 10 years older sister (who is also an alcoholic, all 5 of my siblings are as was my father). Alcohol was a once in a while fun thing to do until the early '90s when it became more regular. And over the years, the frequency and amount kept increasing.
I never had major problems because of my drinking. No law problems, marriage or family problems. Maybe if I had, my drinking wouldn't have gone on for so many years. I just knew I had to quit or it was going to kill me.
So I did on November 4, 2015. Almost 3 months ago. I'm amazed. I have tried many times to quit in the last 15 years and the longest I was able to go without a drink was 3 months. I celebrate 3 dry months on Feb. 4 (I did it through the holidays!). It's kind of a big one for me and I can't help but be a bit proud of myself.
When I first quit, the depression was pretty bad for a couple weeks. I was mourning the loss of my best friend. But then the clouds parted and the sun came out and I felt great. And I still feel great...for the most part. My problem, my reason for asking for support and advice, is that my temper has become a bit explosive and excessive. I'm usually pretty even tempered. Is this part of withdrawal?
Thanks to all involved in this website. I think you are all doing a wonderful thing!