View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JimC60

Plink,

"I am sure that everyone around me at Mass thinks I am a freak as I cannot hold back the tears depending on what song they sing....."

I seriously doubt that they think you are a freak. The Spirit touches people in different ways, music is but one vehicle. Just talk to any choir director or head of music at any church - they will confirm that music is a powerful tool.

"Amazing Grace" was my mother's favorite hymn, her pastor thought that it gave her hope for her parents who were good people, but never "churched" or overtly religious. Naturally it was played and sung beautifully by a soloist at my mother's funeral. It is rare that I can hear, much less sing "Amazing Grace" without shedding a tear or two.

A couple of years ago when my daughter was in her first rehab, we had gone to her rehab facility for "Family Wellness Weekend". It was Sunday and the last day of the 3 day session for parents and loved ones. It had already been a very intense and emotional weekend for all involved.

We were at Mass in the gorgeous chapel at the rehab and what appears on the program - "Amazing Grace", gamely I rose with the rest of the congregation to sing, I made it through about one and a half verses before I was pushed over the hilt, the sobs racking my body. My wife wrapped her arm around me as I sat back down, two total strangers behind me placed comforting hands on my shoulders and offered tissues.

My tears in that Mass and the reaction from others were my first introduction to the support offered freely by "the recovery community" -- they didn't think I was a freak; they understood on a deeper level than I could begin to comprehend at the time.

Keep coming back,

Jim