View Single Post
Old 01-31-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
stargazer016
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by BlueFairy View Post
Welcome back!

I'm at 38 weeks. Recovery is different for everyone even if we have a lot of the same symptoms. I still tire easy it seems although that's improved mightily. From what I know the tiredness is a lot to do with actual body and mind repair... that is how godawful the stuff really is. It's a real good reason for me personally to not start ever again. I've always been very health oriented so pouring the crap that wrecked me down my throat again doesn't seem like a great idea after you realize-- what a number it actually did on you. Including the debilitating depression that almost ended my life. It's interesting since I've been going to AA how many shares involve their former suicide attempts or descriptions of extreme depression while drinking. Here's proof it's a depressant. I guess I'm a little angry at how it is pushed on us constantly by the industry and socially, etc. Not all of my problems have been solved by quitting but so many things have improved. I went from a job I was starting to hate to a job I love, most of my relationships have improved and things previously neglected are starting to get some attention. Not everything! Most people say the first year of recovery is the hardest and I know I have a ways to go and a lot of work to do every day of my life for my goal of never returning to an addiction that rules my life ever again. I think that's why so many people get so gung ho with recovery because it is so easy to slip back in to old habits-- let stuff go. It's better to really focus on recovery and living your life right. I know I'm still pretty vulnerable--if I get stressed out I can have a night of insomnia still--just had one but I think that had more to do with caffeine too late and the discovery I'm out of valerian--
Anyway long story short-- hang in there. :-)
I'm at 41 weeks and still don't have the energy I wish I had and still tire easily. Guess it doesn't help working in a grocery store where I can work until 1:00am one night and open the store at 4:00am all in the same week!

The biggest gain for me is the absence of the crushing depression that afflicted me six months of the year during the cloudy winter season here. Not living through that darkness every day is a God spend! Alcohol is truly a depressant of the highest degree!

Recovery is a very slow process, especially since I drank daily for thirty plus years. Sometimes I get so impatient. I thought that when I quit drinking, I would have boundless energy and all my problems would disappear. No, the problems are still there, that's just life. However, it is far better trying to deal with them sober.