View Single Post
Old 01-30-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
honeypig

January 30

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Religious Freedom

"...a Power greater than ourselves...." "Higher Power as we understood Him." These words introduce spirituality in the Twelve Steps. They are the first two references to Higher Power, and they are worded that way for a reason.

We each have the freedom to define and understand our Higher Power as we choose.

That means we do not bring our religious affiliation into our recovery groups. It means that we do not try to impose our religious beliefs, or our understanding of Higher Power, on anyone else. We do not use our groups or meetings as a soapbox to gain religious converts. We do not try to force the particulars of our religious beliefs on others.

We give each person the right to a personal understanding of a Higher Power and ourselves.

Today I will respect other people's understanding of Higher Power, as well as my own. I will not allow others' judgment of my beliefs to cause me anxiety and distress. I will seek to grow spiritually in recovery, with or without the assistance of a particular religion or denomination.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.