View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

sure.... I was a 'situational alcoholic' since the age of 14.

in some situations, I drank without problem, without excess and without hangover or shame or guilt or destruction or risk.

in other situations, I drank to blackout, got arrested, scared people, got in fights, woke with alcohol poisoning, vomited all day, drank in the morning to shake off the withdrawals.

Over the years..... the first sort of situation seemed to be less and less the norm.

The second situation became more frequent, with less space in between.

Eventually, regardless of the situation, I was drinking almost every day. On the days I didn't drink, the situation was that I was kind of pretty miserable and just waiting until I had the excuse to let my next situation be a drinking situation.

Then the situation became that I was pretty much an alcoholic in every situation.....

For me.... "situational alcoholism" would just be sort of a fancy, rationalization of a term to help provide me with a false hope and a false excuse that fundamentally amounted to "Gee, I'm NOT an alcoholic... I just need to be conscious and careful about where and when I drink".

Incidentally, these were words I indeed used just prior to a 1.5 year relapse of epic proportions.....

Nope. Situational Alcoholism - for me - would be a delusion.