View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

I experienced a lot of anger and rage during the first year. I had tons of it. It was nearly overwhelming. It was from years of drinking away my natural emotional reactions, I'm sure. I didn't give myself a chance to deal with the things people did that angered and hurt me. They just kind of piled up. And I of course discovered that much of the frustration and part of the anger was turned inward on myself, for seemingly not being able to handle "life.' It was the drinking that had crippled me, of course.

I am sorry you are going through this right now. But it has to come out somehow and at some point in time. It's better you deal with it now, in your first year.

Some things that I did to deal with being sober: IOP, individual counseling, a few meetings, books, exercise, meditation, journaling, dogs, and SR.

Eventually, I cried and yelled it all out. I grieved and I cried, and raged a bit (at home in the privacy of my home, without being destructive). The tears finally quit flowing. I healed. It's been nearly three years. All I can say is it was worth the work! That cliche -- the only way out is through -- is spot on.