View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SoberinSyracuse
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by ecm76 View Post
I've been reading around a bit here because I know my drinking is a problem. However, I'm "high functioning" in that I'm still getting good reviews at work, I'm paying my bills, etc. I know that's not enough, but my desire to escape is consistently much stronger than my desire to live a healthy, meaningful life. Honestly I haven't been able to convince myself to care enough to quit. I would love to hear any insights or advice from others who have been where I am right now.
Yes, I've totally been there. Recently, in fact. But high-functioning escapism really wasn't a fulfilling life. In fact, it was lame in almost every way. But that wasn't enough reason for me to quit.

If you're like most people, you'll put more effort into avoiding a negative (through escapism) than pursuing a positive (a fulfilled sober life). That's just the way we are. Someday the negatives of drinking will outweigh the positives -- this is inevitable because alcoholism progresses. Once the negatives start stacking up, you'll feel more motivation.

I'd wish for you that you could choose to get off the train now rather than after a seizure, a DWI, etc. Here's a really fun YouTube video about the advantages of sobering up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od_L6vnBwWA

Hope it helps "sell" sobriety to you! :-)