View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

Originally Posted by ecm76 View Post
I've been reading around a bit here because I know my drinking is a problem. However, I'm "high functioning" in that I'm still getting good reviews at work, I'm paying my bills, etc. I know that's not enough, but my desire to escape is consistently much stronger than my desire to live a healthy, meaningful life. Honestly I haven't been able to convince myself to care enough to quit. I would love to hear any insights or advice from others who have been where I am right now.
Welcome to the forums. Much of what you said is very familiar. I used to think I was high-functioning. I'm highly educated and qualified, have consistently held down my job with loads of responsibility, great results etc. Healthy social life, loads of hobbies, great wife and family, dogs, lovely house - the perfect life... Apart from the drinking.

I told myself for ages that my drinking can't have been that bad given everything I was able to do day to day. I didn't think much of some of my Negstive attributes - short temper, bursts of anger, apathy / lack of interest in "boring" things.

The only thing I can really say to you - if you think you're high functioning now, just wait until you're sober. Your productivity and attitude to life will go through the roof - and it's well worth it.

Enjoy finding your feet!