View Single Post
Old 01-24-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Praying

I work in the retirement industry and am crazy focused on savings and retirement needs, so my perspective on savings is a bit skewed.

I cringe at the thought of spending savings...I'd be considering a way to STOP...what if you told yourself it would run out on a year and you promise not to touch the rest? Would you do anything differently?

But I'm actually human too, and after my divorce spent more than I needed to for a while getting my new life set up--but it made me very uncomfortable.

You've got a good cushion that you might need later in life, so if you can save it, please do!

(Okay, sorry, have I mentioned my friends think I'm a total downer, lol...)

Since I work in the benefits field we perform and follow all kinds of studies on people and behavior. Heard one the other day-- though my percentages might be off, this was the message:

A man reading job requirements will see that he matches 20% of what they're looking for and think "I can do that!" He'll apply and maybe get the job.

A woman reading job requirements will see that she matches 80% of what they're looking for and think "I don't have what they need", and not try.

Women as a whole tend to be more self-limiting while men jump out and take risks, promising they CAN do something they THINK they can do. Because they believe in themselves. Women think it's "honest" to say "well, I think I probably can do it, but I haven't actually done it..." instead of exuding confidence.

This is a generalization, but it came from a study of recruiting data. Just food for thought as you challenge yourself and tell employers how awesome you are.