View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lizatola

OT: career advice

I'm really struggling with finding a career path. I'm basically only earning enough money to cover 1/2 of my expenses. I'm going through my savings at a good clip. I still owe $17K on my car and I have about $6K in credit card debt.

I think I will be OK financially for about another 18 months to 2 years as long as I reign in the spending, bring my lunch to work, etc. I've already cut back on cable, lowered my cell phone bill, etc.

I probably should consider renting something cheaper but I have to admit that I'm selfish and I love my house, my neighborhood, etc. It's quiet, everyone keeps their yards neat and clean, no barking dogs, super low crime rate, hiking trails right out my front door, sigh....

Currently, I'm working for a large real estate company in their corporate offices. I handle all the title closing packages, make sure we got the right amount of money and that agents get paid properly. I do mostly easy accounting and reviewing of files for our 10 branches in our state. It's easy work and I'm grateful for this transition job, after not having worked for 16 years, but I'm ready to move on and find a career path. I have my BA in communications, I was a licensed stock broker for 5 years before I had my son and have experience in finance and investing.

I have an interview next week with a financial advisory firm as a client services administrator. It would pay only $5K more a year than what I'm making now but it would be only a 15-20 minute drive instead of the 45-50 mins I'm driving now. They also would like me to consider getting licensed again, after one year of employment, and that would come with a pay raise, which has not been revealed to me yet as I have not had a formal interview. This job would be in a small firm and my prior experience was at a large national firm.

Sigh...I just don't know what my abilities are anymore. I've lost so much confidence in my job skills because I haven't worked for so long. My boyfriend thinks I'm selling myself short but he supports whatever decisions I make. I truly don't think I can go right out and find a middle management paying job after 16 years out of the workplace. I knew I would have to start from the bottom, but I'm already getting stressed about finances.

I'm also working on a freelance project for a friend and I'm hoping this writing job also contributes to my income as well as expanding my resume. I really could just use some suggestions, encouragement, etc from others who have been there.