View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  
ubntubnt

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
I've read blackout, parts of it really resonated with me. But not a book I'd rave about. Now, Carolyn Knapp's Drinking: A Love Story, that's worth raving about. What an amazing talent she was.
Funny enough I was also just reading this book. I thought it was a great insight to the progressive nature of the alcoholism. How, given enough time, it can and will take down anyone. I related to it a lot.

Day 54 here. Just finished 6 nights in a row in a hotel room on a business trip without a single drop of alcohol. Actually the cravings are still ok. I have missed the mayhem a little this week, especially on a Friday night. In a new city in Asia, getting drunk, going out and letting all hell break loose. Play the tape forward though and I realise I am just romanticising the booze. It is nowhere near worth it. I had two people tell me I was "firing on all pistons" this week, one tell me I was "looking different" and then an hour later tell me I looking years younger and one person tell me I need to buy new trousers because I have lost weight. So almost 8 weeks in it seems that the changes have become very noticeable to others. Thats really worth fighting to keep. Actually, I don't really have to fight it that much, I don't want to drink. And thats not me trying to convince myself.....amazingly, I don't want to drink and I am don't feel I am missing much, if anything.

Welcome to our new members, there are so many of us making great progress right now. Keep writing and letting us know what's on your mind. I have another week of travel coming up and look forward to getting some more time on the board when I get back.

Stay strong everyone....drinking is not an option. Take it off the table. Shut the door on the possibility of drinking completely. Then move on.....