Old 01-22-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
PurpleKnight

Welcome to the Forum Exofalcoholic!!

When there's an addiction involved people can be the best people in the world, but things will always be overshadowed by the addiction, which can be a very selfish thing as it will come before everything else.

I did many things that I regret when I was drinking, I'd go off on binges, come back and try to rebuild my life, that stop start stop start pattern you describe I went round for years, great intentions to be different, change my ways, finally get my life in order, to have them eventually go by the wayside because my addiction wanted to drink and I wasn't willing to do enough to stop drinking.

Don't put your life on hold waiting for someone to change, he may do, but what if he doesn't? what if in 30 years time we're on the 10th split up and you're still hoping that somehow it will still all work out?

The reality is unless someone sorts out their addiction, everything else will take a back seat, and in waiting for things to change, alcohol has eaten up two lives instead of one.

Live your life on your terms, not on his addiction's, you'll find loads of support here on SR to help out!!