View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Thumpalumpacus
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
There were many things that made me uncomfortable at my first AA meeting, including the fact that I was at an AA meeting. By the time I got there, every piece of real estate on the planet "wasn't for me." I wasn't there for the gift shop, and I didn't ask for directions to the fitting room. I wasn't all that different from, nor was I quite the same as, anyone else in that room. I asked for help to get sober. Not a single person asked me about my philosophy of life, my views on religion, or whether or not I thought it was abusive to dress animals in clothing.

The plan was to get sober and to fill my time here with something other than drinking. No one in my life cared how I did it.
Your point is well-put: no one owes us a damned thing in group. But -- the folks there, tangential though they might be to your life, do in some ways care how you do it.

They might not ask about your views on clothing animals, but that might not mean they ain't curious -- perhaps they're only shy and awaiting you?

I think you get out of recovery, whatever route you take, what you put into it.