View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
chiro
Science and Scripture

“Can you be more specific about your approach to addressing the underlying issues head on”

Specifically, in high school I was a social introvert. Talking to girls especially made me feel helpless. Drinking helped me escape the trap of feeling helpless. I regained control of my feelings by getting high. When high, I felt empowered and less shy.
In college and my professional life I was on autopilot with quick fix or mood changer of drugs. I made mountains out of mole hills with respect to circumstances that I felt were important. In my corrupted naïve mind, life should be easy and without pain. Drugs was an easy quick fix for my helpless feelings. Life is full of adversity and helpless, powerless circumstances. I could give dozens of examples but you get the picture. Eventually my first born son became a heroin addict and my wife left me because I got high upstairs while my son remained downstairs, home after a year of rehab!. I could not control either of them-I was emphatically helpless. At this point, desperate to make intelligent decisions, including potential divorce, I delegated control to God and as a result had a personal relationship that continues today. I completely lost my desire to get high. I can and do drink now on occasion but when I feel tipsy I stop. I have no problem stopping because now my values prohibit me from getting inebriated. I regain control over my helpless feeling with Christ Driven Behavior. People overcome addiction out of purpose-based motivation -- they quit when they recognize how their habit violates WHO they were, WHAT they want to be, WHERE they want to go in life. I believe a person's purpose and values are the main navigational tools in recovery from any hurt, habit or hang-up.
I now understand the behavioral science behind what Christ has been preaching for over 2000 years.
Here is some scripture that demonstrates the synergy of science and scripture for me.
Matthew 11:28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (Life is full of circumstances that cause us to feel overwhelmed and helpless)
1. Proverbs 29:11 (don't let your emotions control your behavior)
2. Romans 12:2 (transform your thinking)
3. 2 Corinthians 12: 9-10 (Delegate control to God for power)
4. John 14:16, 14-26 (God will return that control to you with a Helper)
5. Galatians 5: 22-23 (Values give motivation and purpose and change behavior)

I hope this gives some clarification. Google the exact scripture for specific vernacular. I also sent you a PM.