View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

For years I thought AA wouldn't be right for me. And for years I was 'just' an evening binge drinker. I also knew for years I had a problem, I knew I drank too much too often. But I went along and just thought I could live with it , I convinced myself living through all the negative consequences was worth it , the price to pay for that 'awesome' buzz . It changes overtime or at least it did for me, the justifications of the price for the buzz got harder to make or live with. I started trying to quit or at least stop for periods, but the time between stopping and starting again kept getting shorter and the attempts less frequent. The evening binge thing changed , a lot of things changed all for the bad. Still didn't think AA was for me, but I did think that somehow it should be or that the only solution was really going to be found 'there', so that part of my thinking(what I call my AV) latched on to the idea that since I wasn't going that route , I might as well resign myself to the 'fact' that I would always be a drinker , no matter how much higher the price for chasing that buzz was getting , I was still willing to pay for it.
But then I just couldn't take it anymore , it got real bad, even for me. AA or not it had to stop, as others have already said there are other ways or paths that get to quitting. You identified one you don't want to peruse ,or at least not for now, so what is your plan for future alcohol use?
At the end of my rope, or what felt like it at the time, I stumbled onto SR and found out about AVRT and RR( the Secular Connections forum has great threads on these ideas), don't let one path being a bad fit trick you into thinking you can't quit.
I was right that for me AA wasn't a good fit, I was wrong to use that as an excuse to keep drinking .
Wish you well