Old 01-21-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ALinNS

Originally Posted by exofalcoholic11 View Post
Hi, I dont want to go down the road of medication for myself as I dont think I need anything for my own head, I would like to know why people drink like this and why they cant hold relationships, jobs, friends etc. thanks
It's a sickness that once (in my case and listening to others) once we pick up that first drink we loose total control, I understand that it may be hard to believe if one hasn't been there, it's why we admit we are powerless over alcohol and for many of us on the road to staying sober admit we are powerless when we drink and that alcohol made my life unmanageable.

I can tell you from my own experience until I reached the point where I acknowledged this and reached out for help, nothing works.

Many of us believe we have an addictive voice inside and our goal is to take all of it's power to try and convince us to drink, we make a plan to deal with this and if we stick to the plan we stay sober because this voice will always be there, we simply need to take it's power away.

I hope this explains a bit of how the alcoholic mind works.

Andrew