Thread: Mixed emotions
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Hi and welcome to the forum, though I am sorry for the reason for your visit. Just a FYI- we also have a friends and family section, though you of course are welcome to post here as well. Most of us in this section are alcoholics or addicts ourselves.

I am so sorry for what you and your husband have gone through. I can take an educated guess based on your location and description of the event and can say that simply watching it on tv was horrifying, I simply cannot even imagine actually having to be there. Justifiably your husband suffered from what he witnessed and as such it sounds like he has dealt with that suffering in a variety of ways, including abusing alcohol.
I do not suffer from any major trauma the way your husband does but I am an alcoholic and I can assure you that I NEVER want to hurt those that I love, but my disease causes me to behave in ways that I would normally not.
The truth is we can never get back the time that has passed, those three years are gone. But the good news is your husband has sought help for his addiction and his PTSD and hopefully when he returns you can work on building a positive future together.
I would suggest getting into therapy yourself and if you are able to attend at least one al-anon meeting to see what it is all about. YOu sound like you have a lot of hurt feelings and anger about this (which is pretty normal I would say) and you are going to need to work through that in order to put your best foot forward as well. One thing is for certain though, ignoring the issue will not help.
Best wishes for a happy reunion when your husband returns next week.