View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SoberinSyracuse
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Originally Posted by KidsEverywhere View Post
Good grief that makes so much sense. I hear so much about how you have to hit bottom before making a change and that has been so scary to me because it seems like I'm a long way from rock bottom but I'm not doing what I know i should. I am hiding the drink from my wife.
Basically, it is like it is telling me: "go ahead and push your luck, idiot."
Good morning (at least where I am)! Yeah, that about sums it up. You know where the drinking train is headed. Unstopped, it will make you ill, cost you everything, and eventually take your life.

I really don't believe it's true that one has to hit rock bottom. They just have to hit the point that they want it enough. For Phase 4 alcoholics, we usually have to be suffering BAD before we're ready. But other people, earlier in their progression (like you seem to be), absolutely CAN make an intelligent decision to get off the train. The recovery work is the same, but it hurts a little less.

So, I applaud you. Check out the threads about making recovery/sobriety plans. I have a good feeling that you can nip this in the bud! Please post back!