View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
airbrushsbuddy

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I second this. I didn't sleep at all the first night and spent a lot of time reading on here. And 6 AM came around I got in the shower got dressed and went to work. Sure I felt a little spacey but I did actually think during that day: Whoa. This actually feels a lot better than a hangover.

I was sipping water and drinking soup all night. I think my body took it especially hard because I literally drank myself to sleep every single night. Like 365 days a year so a sober night was quite a surprise to my body.

Just a warning though. Monday won't necessarily be any easier than today to quit. There is never a perfect time. In fact I spent about four years waiting for the perfect time before I finally decided that I would do absolutely anything to stop drinking.

This is spot on. I am a true alcoholic. I consumed a quart (sometimes 2) of 94 proof gin every day. In my worst days, I chased the fog and shakes away with a wake-up drink. Then another last drink, then another last drink.....until it came time to pour myself into bed.

I did the withdrawal - probably a dumb move - on my own. The withdrawal was terrible. Tremors, agitation, shaking, irritability, confusion - you name it. Night time brought weird dreams, tremendous sweating and each morning my bed looked as if I had been in a wrestling match.

The back side of all of this is wonderful. I sleep like a baby, my energy level is up, I can plan and execute one day at a time, My wife says "Welcome home, I just got my husband back!"

It's worth it. I recommend to anyone who has a thought of sobriety - DO IT NOW! Don't wait until Monday. DO IT NOW!