View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
walkbeformakrun
Omnivore

Originally Posted by sober4m View Post
Anyway,

Main reason why I started this topic is to hear some arguments for casual drinking.

Why do people drink? What is so good or fun or enjoyable about it? I cannot wrap my mind around that. It would help to understand.
What does it really matter why other people think causal drinking is fine? You obviously don't think it is and that is a very valid position to take. Is it that you are so attached to the idea of marrying this guy that you feel the need to be talked out of your value system?

Only reasons I can come up with is "become numb", "forget worries", "change state of mood", "poison"...all negative things.
Does your boy friend drink for these reasons?

Surely there are positive or responsible things to some casual drinking?
Not really. Maybe some neutral things but positive, I doubt it.

But just seeing him drink alcohol makes me kind of upset. I don't know what to do.

Why DO people drink? I don't understand. It kills your brain, it kills people, it makes you angry, sad, stupid, uncontrollable, irresponsible...I do not understand why someone wants to drink.
You sound a lot like my wife. Only her thing is healthy eating. I go to a drive thru and she freaks out. "How could you put that crap into your body! Don't you know you are killing yourself!"

She would totally lose respect for me if I did not exercise. I do that naturally and eat healthy by my own choice, mostly. That is part of why we are compatible. If I were a hunky looking junk food eater, that never exercised, we would not be compatible. She would go crazy living with me, watching me defy what she values, no matter if I actually had heath problems as a result or not.

So in my opinion, you are banging your head against a wall trying to justify his drinking. It doesn't matter if he is an alcoholic or not. You still believe he is ingesting poison, willingly, and that bothers you, rightfully. No mental gymnastics on your part is ever going to change that.