View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
fantail
now's the time

Yes, there's some scientific medical stuff going on too, like Andante says. I'm not going to google it right now so I'll preface by saying this is what I remember reading, so of course it may be slightly addled between now and then. But as I recall, an addict's brain reforms to have many more receptors for the specific endorphins released by their drug... a big one for alcohol being GABA... and less for the others. So you kind of have to starve it out for a while before it starts opening up receptors to match more accurately the balance of endorphins you can get naturally.

In my mind I picture a house built to gather rainwater for its pipes going through a drought... takes the homeowner a few months before they give in that this is going to last for a while, so I better go dig a well.

I'm at six months and last night I took an ice skating lesson in a community ice rink and it made me as happy as anything. That would not have been the case a year ago. Sobriety brought back simple pleasures for me.