View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
courage2
p***enger

Hi csaw --

You sound like me when I got to this site. I'd known I had a problem with alcohol for at least 16 years -- I remember telling someone I was "probably" an alcoholic in the '90s. But I so firmly believed that being an alcoholic was my nature, I literally had *no idea* how to stop or what it would take. I remember the first time I seriously tried to quit, and couldn't make it past 3 days. Several times in a row. I was shocked!

This site helped me realize that the lure of alcohol is extremely powerful for people like us, and doesn't just go away when we dry out some. If you want to stay sober, you have to plan in advance tactics that will help you get through the hard times:

For instance, you can do a daily commitment here on the 24 hour thread, and/or join the January 2016 sobriety class for support. You can go to AA, or work through AVRT or another program. You can see a counselor. Read a lot about alcoholism. It will enlighten you & bolster your commitment.

In the early days, simple tricks also help. Ice cream really does help with cravings. You can change routines to avoid passing certain liquor stores and bars. Some people throw out their drinking glassware. If you drive to work, you might leave all but your license and keys at home, so you won't be able to buy a bottle if tempted. And of course, I advise you not to keep *any* liquor in the house.

Good luck and keep posting!