View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RedAndy

Originally Posted by melki View Post
In my case, I knew for years there was a problem. And I tried to mitigate it for years. What finally prompted a life-altering decision was admitting I will never be able to moderate alcohol. Never. So "I will never drink again and I will never change my mind". That was my mantra in the early days. This forum and all your stories and support helped tremendously. Thank you, SR.
My problem was I just thought it was everyone else's problem - if they didn't like it or like me then tough - deal with it, I was having a great time and to hell with the consequences or what anyone else thought of me, I thought I was invincible and believed my own bullsh1t. Far too many instances now that I look back where I should have sat up and taken notice, it was mentioned many times but never accepted, I guess until you do it's a pointless exercise for those around you.

In hindsight the last episode / binge whilst far from acceptable on so many levels I'm relieved it happened as it was the wake up call I really needed, something clicked and made me realise what an idiot I was in the out of control states I was continually getting in, not to mention the amounts consumed - just never considered the dangers or long term effects until the lights came on.

The question of moderation was and never can be an option - it just wont ever happen, that's why finding SR was so crucial for me, it was this place that put that to bed for me instantly - grateful for that as without it I reckon the door would have been left open for many further problems.