View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Weasel1966
A simple guy making his way

Thumbs up Change is possible! Weekender Jan 8th

My addictions put me on a path. They changed my world from innocence and naïveté to a gritty version of hope.

I once thought that if I only changed where I lived I could change my desire and thirst for drugs and drinking. Getting high.

I have come to accept that my addictions are where I am and nowhere else.

I am not saying that a change of venue does not lend a role in recovery. It can and did for me. What I am trying to highlight is a deep lesson I learned here on SR.

There is no change too big or too small when it comes to our addictions. There is no single thing I did to help myself. It was the accumulation of actions, lessons, thoughts, leaving friends and finding new ones, leaving where I lived and resettling... along with desire, fear, and self love that made change something real.

What that translates into is "Keep trying!"

I think every person's own sober formula is personal. As unique as each of us.

I can tell you I stopped trying to change my addictions. They aren't going to change. So I changed everything around them and left them bare and alone. They still travel with me but not me with them.

Change is possible. Share this weekend what changes you made in recovery. What lengths have you gone to save yourself?

Ken

Welcome to your sober weekend!!