Old 01-06-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zerothehero
waking down

I was sober for weeks, months, and even a year once until it stuck. Right now I'm on week four of: Online MBSR (free) . The website has lots of links to articles and talks in addition to a clear process for MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction).

Staying sober for me has been very much about this quote from Jack Kornfield: "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." MBSR, mindfulness, meditation, Buddhism...these are all about learning to surf. Whether it is emotional, psychological, physical, or spiritual pain or discomfort, the lesson I've learned is to ride it, not to fight it. Breathe into the pain. Focus on it instead of looking for ways to escape it or numb it away. I've learned that I can't let go of something I haven't been willing to embrace.

I've posted this elsewhere, but for newcomers I also strongly recommend The Mindfulness Workbook for Addiction: A Guide to Coping with the Grief, Stress and Anger that Trigger Addictive Behaviors . -Williams and Kraft

I'm thinking I was sober for about a week when I ordered that book, and I started reading it as soon as I got it. To be honest, my first response was that the writers were full of it, but I kind of worked through the workbook with no expectations. In retrospect, that was probably the proper way to go about it. In the meantime, I learned basics about meditation, mindfulness, acceptance of self and life, and perhaps most importantly, self-compassion.

I hope this helps.