View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Saskia

Your list is a great start. Here are a few other ideas for your consideration.

It may sound too simple but I found that the exercise of adding something to my gratitude list first thing every morning helped a great deal in getting through the early days, weeks and months. My list started out predictably but eventually I had to think harder to find something and that increased the value dramatically.

Some kind of f2f activities can be especially helpful in the early months. I wasn't keen to do AA but it ended up being very valuable for me.

Thirdly, it can help to think about concrete actions you will take if this time doesn't "take". I did an outpatient rehab. I wasn't at all keen on doing inpatient rehab but realized that I had made real progress when I realized that I would do inpatient if I needed to. And, of course I didn't want to need to do that - it helped me getting through the early months.

The outpatient program I did taught me some good info about the relapse cycle and how to deal with it, what's the differences among addict mind, clean mind and wise mind. We also did meditation.