Old 01-05-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SoberinSyracuse
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

HAHAHAHAHA, LOL, OMG. Yes.

When I was in detox in March, I'd been drinking heavily and not eating. The first day, I refused food. The second day, I refused food. On the third day they told me, "In order to leave your room, you must eat and drink." I did, a little.

And then the floodgates opened. We on the 6th floor had a special privilege with the hospital dining services. We could order as much food as we wanted, any time of the day (but only one caffeinated drink per day). We ate nonstop. We ate everything. And nobody tried to stop us or lecture us about healthy portions. We just ate and ate and ate.

People's brains rebounded fast once they started to gorge. They'd come in like corpses except for the shaking. Then once they were a day or two sober and took that first bite...Holy crap, they were like sharks in a fishtank. And after 24 hours of gorging, their eyes were brightened and they would converse.

Then they got bored and to alleviate the boredom, everyone invented little jobs for themselves. Lloyd manned the hall phone. Cheryl delivered food trays, room-service style. Laura collected trays and returned them to the truck. Chuck monitored water consumption, keeping bottles full and making sure everyone was hydrating.

That's the power of food in recovery. Embrace it. Eat, eat, eat!