Old 01-03-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Andante

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Your post is evidence in itself that you need a sponsor Jen. You're telling us how well you are because of what you've been through, you don't like meetings and yet you sponsor people?? What do you tell someone who asks you why you don't have a sponsor? "Well, I know enough so I don't need any help except when working the 10th step?? C'mon Jen. The disease is telling you you're ok! The disease is playing on your pride and self confidence which is going to get you drunk....mark my words. I'm coming up on 39 years Jen and I have a sponsor; I've always had a sponsor. It's comforting knowing there's someone out there who'll drop everything and listen, or get together when I need it. Tell me what the difference is between the AA steps and the Al-anon steps. I'd strongly suggest you take a step back and honestly, I mean honestly take a look at the way you're thinking.
I submit that if anyone requires the constant and eternal oversight of a sponsor in order to prevent their veering off the spiritual rails and descending into drunkenness again, then there's a fundamental, fatal flaw in their recovery program that no sponsor can "fix."

The gift of sobriety the AA way is bestowed ultimately not by one's sponsor but by one's conscious contact with a Higher Power.

Beyond the laying out of the tools of the 12 Steps for inspection, the sponsor's role in establishing and maintaining anyone else's conscious contact with their HP is necessarily minimal, as it is (or ought to be, at least) an intensely personal journey.

I also submit that posts which attempt to "take someone’s inventory" and smack of arrogant fear-mongering do a disservice to the causes of humility, tolerance, and selflessness that are the essence of the AA program as I understand it.