Old 01-02-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
...10 years ago my wife was diagnosed with a terminal illness. I had two children to look after, a business that ran into difficulties, a sister in law, who stabbed us in the back, and my wife died all over a period of two years. It was a grim time. I look back in amazement that it never occurred to me to drink in all that time.

A long term AA friend got the same news about her husband, and she hit the bottle immediately.

We had both taken the steps, we had both been regular in our meeting attendance. What was the difference? All we can find is that she had a policy of not sponsoring, while I continued to sponsor a couple of guys.
What you experienced was without a doubt a huge loss. And I certainly wouldn`t compare my financial meltdown (2006-2009) with the death of a loved one. However, I didn`t drink and wasn`t sponsoring anyone either nor did I have a sponsor.

But what I did have was someone (outside of AA) to talk about what was going on in addition by attending meetings I was reminded my problems although real were of a quality nature. I was only in this position become I had gotten sober.

It was a difficult few years for me but that`s life. Stay sober long enough and unpleasant events happen. The question then becomes how will you handle them?

Imo, it all comes down to how much you appreciate your sobriety. If you need to get out of your head spend time with a newcomer. And why would that work? Because it often helps put what going on in your life in perspective.

Here`s a good example of what I mean: For a short period of time years ago one of my eyes became cloudy with blood. Please believe other worries quickly moved to second place. Helping a newcomer (listening/sponsorship) often puts whatever hardship you face in a better light.

Because without sobriety what do we really have?